We acknowledge that running our business has an impact on society and we feel that we have a duty to help others as much as possible. We are committed to behaving responsibly and to contribute towards minimising our impact on the environment and improving the quality of the local community.
The Marketing and Business Development Manager Claire Fenwick is responsible for the implementation of this policy. The responsibility for our adherence rests with all employees throughout the firm. This policy is reviewed on an annual basis.
In a move to involve as many of our staff as possible in CSR activity, the firm has set up a staff social committee whose remit is to organise staff social events as well as get the wider firm involved in charity fundraising. All members of staff are encouraged to make suggestions via our staff suggestion box in relation to further community or charity initiatives we could support.
Through our community work, we are privileged to meet many inspirational people who devote much of their time helping others.
We are committed to support local charities through sponsorship, events and fundraising initiatives. We encourage dialogue with local communities for mutual benefit and encourage our employees to help local community organisations and activities in our region by way of:
Supporting local Charities
- Nominating charities to benefit from the proceeds of business card draws at our ‘Fizz in the City’ ladies networking events. Recent beneficiaries have included the Evening Chronicle Sunshine Fund, Children North East, Teenage Cancer Trust, Smart Works, St Oswald’s Hospice and Smile for Life.
- Holding monthly staff dress down days for local charities, nominated by members of staff. Recent beneficiaries have included 4Louis, Children North East, St Cuthbert’s Hospice, Arthritis Research UK, Macmillan Cancer Trust, Henry Dancer Days, St Oswald’s Hospice, Bloodwise, Oliver’s Journey, Wolf Hirschhorn Syndrome Trust, Chloe and Liam Forever Together Trust, Smile for Life and Josie’s Dragonfly Cancer Trust.
- Staff taking part in the ‘Spin for Smartworks’ sponsored cycle.
- Holding an annual Macmillan‘Biggest Coffee Morning’.
- Staff taking part in ‘Movember’ each year.
- Holding our annual ‘Great Mincoffs Bake Off’ in support of charities such as Henry Dancer Days.
- Staff taking part in ‘Wear Yellow Day’ and ‘Christmas Jumper Day’ for the Evening Chronicle Sunshine Fund.
- Running a staff tuck shop and card shop where profits are donated to a number of charities.
Supporting local students
- Delivering presentations to law students at Northumbria University.
- Sponsoring the best ‘Company Law Student’ prize at Leeds Law School.
- Sponsoring West Jesmond Primary School’s STEM Week and donating raffle prizes for the summer and Christmas Fayre.
Supporting regional start-ups
- Supporting start-ups in the region by sponsoring the Start-Up Competition at the Thinking Digital Conference and offering a free legal support package to the winners.
- Supporting regional start-ups by being the Legal Partner of the If We Can You Can Challenge and offering a free legal support package to the finalists and the winners of the challenge.
Supporting local sports teams
- Being a Corporate member of the SAFC In Business Club supporting the Foundation of Light, the registered charity of Sunderland AFC.
- Being the kit sponsor of Morpeth RFC 1st Team and Morpeth RFC U15 Girls Teams.
- Providing new football shirts to Sunderland Boys Under 9’s football team.
- Providing new football shirts to Hetton Juniors Under 8’s football team.
Impact on the Environment
- We have procedures in place to improve waste management, save energy, recycle and re-use furniture and equipment wherever possible.
- We provide all of our employees with water bottles to minimise the use of plastic water cooler cups.
- We encourage our employees to reduce their own impact on the environment by using public transport or car share in order to travel to and from work. We also encourage our staff to cycle to work and provide shower facilities.
- We encourage environmental responsibility amongst our contractors, suppliers and staff and include environmental considerations in our procurement processes.
- We recycle paper, toners and ink cartridges,
- We minimise our use of electricity by ensuring that all electrical equipment is turned off when not in use.
- We encourage our staff to only print a document if necessary.
Supporting and protecting our people
- We ensure that we do not risk the health and safety of our employees and community.
- We support diversity and inclusion.
- We will create a better working environment and promote interaction by holding regular social events for our people.
- We will continue to raise staff morale by supporting charities close to the hearts of our people.
- We provide weekly fruit baskets to all employees as part of our ‘Healthy Workplace’ programme.