Closing Date: Friday 15th October 2021
We’re looking for a qualified and experienced lawyer to join our leading commercial contract practice working on a varied caseload but with a particular focus on technology and digital businesses. The role will be based from our Newcastle office and will suit lawyers with upward of four years’ PQE to complement the experience of the existing team.
It would be advantageous if you are based within the Newcastle upon Tyne area, however, if you are a strong candidate with the ability and confidence to work remotely, then this opportunity can be a totally remote opportunity so your application will be considered regardless of your geography within the UK.
- Experience in contract drafting across a range of commercial contract types, with a preference for those relating to technology
- Drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts, including outsourcing and procurement, health and care services contracts, IT outsourcing and cloud arrangements, data centres, logistics and warehousing, manufacturing and supply of goods, agency, distribution and franchising;
- Leading on matters with clients, helping to build relationships with clients and wider teams within the firm;
- Assisting with business development activities in order to win new clients and to win work from existing clients – this will involve attending and speaking at conferences and writing articles as well as cementing existing relationships.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge, skills and experience required
The successful candidate will ideally have gained experience in a commercial law practice, working on a variety of different types of commercial contracts. Candidates must be adaptable and willing to adapt to deliver commercial legal solutions to a variety of clients working in different sectors. The ideal candidate will be versatile and will enjoy variety in their day-to-day work, working across a broad spectrum of commercial contract matters including technology, agency and distribution, franchising, e-commerce and media and entertainment. Candidates must be technically excellent but equally important, commercially aware and enthusiastic about investing time in client relationships. Familiarity with one or more of the following sectors would be an advantage: technology, leisure, healthcare or life sciences, construction or public sector.
Experience of working in-house would be a bonus but is not essential.
As well as having the experience mentioned above, the candidate should:
- Be strong academically;
- Be capable of working independently with minimal supervision on appropriate matters, as well as working as part of partner-led team on larger projects.
- Be a team player who can work with different teams and lawyers across the firm;
- Be a self-starter who enjoys business development and would like to develop their business development skills; and
- Be prepared to assist the senior lawyers in the team with supervision of junior lawyers.
- Possess excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Experience in drafting consumer contracts or public procurement work would be desirable but not essential
What will we offer you?
- We are a tier 1 ranked team in the Legal 500 for Information Technology
- You will be working with colleagues who are leading specialists in information technology and intellectual property.
- We have a client base comprising major technology businesses such as video game studios, software developers and artificial intelligence companies. We also advise a number of universities on IP/IT matters and hold appointments with a variety of technology incubators and accelerators.
- Early responsibility and opportunities to develop client relationships and clear career progression opportunities.
About the Firm
Mincoffs Solicitors is a leading commercial law firm based in Newcastle upon Tyne. We have a long-standing reputation for delivering high-quality legal advice rooted in a deep understanding of the sectors in which our clients operate. The firm has a focus on the North East but acts for clients nationally and internationally.
The firm has significant credentials in the technology, leisure, real estate and engineering sectors. Services provided across these sectors include corporate and M&A, commercial litigation, restructuring, insurance, regulatory, construction, property, planning and environmental, procurement, outsourcing, employment, share plans and incentives.
For an informal discussion in relation to this role, please contact Antony Hall, Partner and Head of the Commercial Team on 0191 281 6151 or email email@example.com.
To apply for this role, please send a CV to Michelle Dodds, Office Manager firstname.lastname@example.org by close of play Friday 15th October.