Closing Date: Friday 15th October 2021
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced IT Manager to join our firm. This is a pivotal role that will play a crucial part in the delivery of the strategic ICT vision of Mincoffs Solicitors. The post holder will also have overall responsibility for the management, installation, maintenance, availability and security of the firm’s network, hardware and software, as well as the strategic planning of the development of the firm’s IT provision and management of day to day ICT responsibilities and will report to the Chief Executive and the Management Team.
1. ICT Strategy
- Provide strategic leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of an innovative ICT strategy, within guidelines laid down by the management team.
- Manage and undertake research and analysis to inform the Firm’s strategy and advise on emerging technologies and trends in the legal sector that can benefit the Firm.
- Work with the management team and staff to ensure that their ICT needs are understood and to demonstrate and develop the potential of ICT in all fee-earning and support areas.
- Further develop and implement policies, procedures and standards for the use of ICT, including e-safety, health and safety, asset disposal, receiving and testing ICT equipment, data protection, internet use, email, security and ICT resource management within the Firm and monitor adherence to the policies and standards.
- Ensure the Firm implements high quality ICT services which are of comparable or higher quality of those offered by other leading law practices.
- Provide “business analyst” skills to all user departments of the Firm.
- Supporting management team in the establishment, development and communication of the Firm’s ICT and Information Systems strategies, including project management.
2. Desktop, Database and Application Support
- Manage the installation, maintenance and upgrades of desktop hardware (including peripherals) and software.
- To be aware of the limitations and the appropriate use of hardware and operating systems and present strategic alternatives to the management team.
- Manage advanced diagnosis procedures on hardware, peripherals and applications.
- Provide advice on compatibility of hardware and Operating System and compatibility of applications with existing systems.
- Overall management of the Firm’s practice management system.
- Manage the Firm’s Audio Visual requirements to support conferencing, presentations and others.
3. Server and Network Support
- Together with support from external support services provider, install, support and maintain the network infrastructure, including monitoring network performance. Install, maintain and upgrade hardware and software, and servers.
- Create and maintain user accounts and user permissions.
- Manage active network components including switches etc, install additional servers and upgrade the network operating system.
- Set up and maintain Internet filtering systems and firewalls. These responsibilities may involve delegating to the ICT Team or undertaking the tasks personally as appropriate.
- Work with management team, department heads and staff, advising and supporting in regard to specific requirements for hardware and specialist software.
- Lead and manage remote access to the Firm’s systems.
- Manage the Firm’s Wi-Fi access.
- Manage and support specialist software as necessary.
- Maintaining and developing a modern, cost effective, stable and secure ICT infrastructure available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
4. Configuration and Installation
- Follow a defined process to manage configurations and changes to ICT systems.
- Test changes to systems, audit software (including licenses), hardware, ICT usage and ICT infrastructure and maintain accurate records in terms of identification and configuration.
- Report on the effectiveness and impact of the processes to the management team.
- Project manage the installation of audit software and hardware.
5. Continuity, Maintenance and Security
- Develop, communicate and implement a plan for recovery and programme of regular maintenance tasks to minimize the impact on the ICT service of a serious disaster, including the Firm’s backup and virus protection policies.
- Maintain and regularly review firm’s system contingency plans.
- Implement appropriate security systems to protect hardware, data and confidential information in a segmented and flexible manner appropriate to the needs of the various different groups of users.
6. ICT Service Desk Management
- Manage the resolution of daily support requests, analyse and determine appropriate responses to requests.
- Produce and analyse separate incident and problem reports for management purposes.
- Analyse the support logs to produce detailed management reports and help plan future support service developments.
- Provide hands on support for problems as necessary.
- Set support priorities given staff availability and wider ICT service demands.
- Advise management team on areas of professional development/training required, based on support log analysis.
- Promoting best practice in the development of information systems.
- Working with “super users” in all departments of the organisation to ensure the use of consistent, high standards in the management of information.
- Providing support to all users, listening to concerns and identifying issues, finding and implementing solutions.
7. Internal Support Arrangements
- Work within the context of negotiated service levels agreed with the management team.
- Set out and manage clear expectations for service delivery for the team.
- Monitor and manage external support services and contracts.
- Report on and monitor progress against agreed service levels.
- Assess needs, and recommend internal and external support arrangements and contracts required to deliver an effective ICT service in the Firm.
- Ensure warranties are appropriately purchased and used.
8. Leadership, Management and Training
- Ensure that training on the use of hardware and software within the Firm is offered to all staff at appropriate times and at relevant levels.
- Providing a minimum level of induction training to new starters;
- Developing, in liaison with the HR manager, a formalised training programme for all users with the aim of raising skills, standards and awareness in the use of ICT applications (Microsoft and others) and promoting consistency across the organisation.
- Establish the budgetary requirements, arrange the sourcing of resources, manage income and expenditure and ensure best value for money for ICT spend.
- Maintain full inventory of ICT assets and consumables, including planning for replacements on an appropriate timescale.
- To carry out duties, commensurate with the post, necessary for the smooth running of the firm as required by the Chief Executive as and when required.
- Working hours for the post holder will vary in line with departmental and firm needs; the stated weekly working pattern may vary throughout the year.
- This role description is subject to review and may change from time to time.
- Contribute to the effective working of the Firm.
- Participating in team meetings and identifying training and development needs in liaison with the management team.
- The list of duties (main and additional) is not exhaustive and may be subject to other duties commensurate with the role. You may also be required to undertake such other comparable duties as the Chief Executive requires from time to time.
- All employees are required to maintain confidentiality regarding any information about clients and employees.
Download the Person Specification for this role here.
To apply for this role, please send a CV to Michelle Dodds, Office Manager email@example.com by Friday 15th October.