Closing Date: Friday 14th May 2021
We’re looking for a qualified and experienced lawyer to join our leading TMT practice specialising in technology with a particular focus on data protection and information law. The role will be based from our Newcastle office and will suit lawyers with 4+ years’ PQE to complement the experience of the existing team.
It would be advantageous if you are based within the Newcastle upon Tyne area, however, if you are a strong candidate with the ability and confidence to work remotely, then this opportunity can be a totally remote opportunity so your application will be considered regardless of your geography within the UK.
- Drafting, negotiating and advising on complex technology, licencing and outsourcing arrangements with a variety of third-parties;
- Advising on a full range of data privacy matters, including regulatory compliance, privacy impact assessments, data subject requests, contract negotiation, GDPR compliance programs and international data flows;
- Assisting with business development activities in order to win new clients and to win data work from existing clients – this will involve attending and speaking at conferences and writing articles as well as cementing existing relationships; and
- Assisting with data protection in a contractual/transactional context IT contracts, services agreements, complex international transfers of data both intra-group and between third parties, data licensing and data sharing agreements, online terms;
- Supervision of junior fee earners and leading on matters with clients, helping to build relationships with clients and wider teams within the firm.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge, skills and experience required
The successful candidate will ideally have gained experience in a large IT/commercial practice, specialising in data protection and IT matters. Experience of working in house in a technology firm would be a bonus, but is not essential. Candidates must be technically excellent but equally important, commercially aware and enthusiastic about data privacy. Familiarity with one or more of the following sectors would be an advantage: technology, leisure, healthcare or life sciences, construction or public sector.
Previous hands-on experience of advising on data protection projects is a requirement, including experience of advising on GDPR/ UK GDPR, on international data transfers, drafting privacy notices, negotiating and drafting data processor agreements and advising on marketing and e-privacy issues.
An awareness of and good understanding of upcoming regulatory changes in the data protection sphere is expected.
As well as having the experience mentioned above, the candidate should be:
- strong academically;
- a team player who can work with different teams and lawyers across the firm;
- self-starter who enjoys business development and would like to develop their business development skills; and
- excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Society of Computers and Law (SCL) and/or International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) accreditations would be a bonus but not essential.
What will we offer you?
- We are a tier 1 rated team for Information Technology.
- You will be working with colleagues who are leading specialists in information technology and intellectual property.
- We have a client base comprising major technology businesses such as video game studios, software developers and artificial intelligence companies. We also advise a number of universities on IP/IT matters and hold appointments with a variety of technology incubators and accelerators.
- Early responsibility and opportunities to develop client relationships and clear career progression opportunities.
About the Firm
Mincoffs Solicitors is a leading commercial law firm based in Newcastle upon Tyne. We have a long-standing reputation for delivering high-quality legal advice rooted in a deep understanding of the sectors in which our clients operate. The firm has a focus on the North East but acts for clients nationally and internationally.
The firm has significant credentials in the technology, leisure, real estate and engineering sectors. Services provided across these sectors include corporate and M&A, commercial litigation, restructuring, insurance, regulatory, construction, property, planning and environmental, procurement, outsourcing, employment, share plans and incentives.
How to apply
Please send an CV by email in the first instance to Michelle Dodds, Office Manager email@example.com.