We will keep your personal data related to a specific matter after we have finished advising or acting for you in that matter. We will do so for one of these reasons:
- to respond to any questions, complaints or claims made by you or on your behalf;
- to show that we treated you fairly;
- to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights; or
- to keep records required by law.
Different retention periods apply for different types of data. We will usually keep files for seven years (in case of non-transactional matters) or 15 years (in case of transactional matters) from the closure of the relevant matter. However, documents related to certain matters (e.g. administration of estate) might need to be kept for longer until occurrence of a specific event (e.g. death of the surviving spouse).
We will keep your limited personal data (name, job title, company, and professional profile, contact details) for marketing purposes for [two years] from when we last acted for or heard from you, unless you opt-out from receiving marketing communication.
We will not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this policy. If you want further information on the specific retention periods applying to your file or personal data please contact our Data Protection Lead by either:
- email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- post at Data Protection Lead, Mincoffs Solicitors LLP, 5 Osborne Terrace, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1SQ.