Skip to main content
Family Law Solicitors

Financial Provision for Children

Where parties separate and one parent becomes primarily responsible for the children, the other parent is obliged to arrange financial provision to that parent for the benefit of the children.  It is common that most parties are able to reach an agreement in relation to financial support for the children.

Where that is not possible, in the majority of cases the matter is dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service, who will look at the non-resident parent’s income with reference to documents filed at HMRC and work out the relevant child maintenance that should be paid taking in to account any overnight contact they have with the children.  If however either parent lives outside of the jurisdiction then the Child Maintenance Service will not have jurisdiction where the non-resident parent to meet expenses in relation to a child’s education or disability.

Where such an application is made the court may have jurisdiction to order monthly payments, the payment of a lump sum and make orders in relation to provision of property.

If you would like to talk to a member of our expert family law team about Financial Provisions for Children or any other aspect of family law, please call 0191 281 6151 or email Emily Cannell, Associate Solicitor on


For confidential advice at a time and place to suit you, contact:

Lyn Rutherford


T: 0191 212

Lyn is highly able and has extremely good judgement - it is not surprising he is a sought after family law specialist.
Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession 2020
Legal 500 2020 Recommended Lawyer Logo, Mincoffs Solicitors

Enquire Now

For more information please send us your enquiry and we promise to get back to you as soon as possible.

Related Articles

Back to top