Skip to main content
Licensing and Gaming

Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificates

Under the Licensing Act 2003 a premises licence is required for any of the following:

  • Retail sale or the supply of alcohol
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events
  • Performing live music (exemptions apply)
  • Dancing (exemptions apply)
  • Supplying hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 05.00am

Under the Licensing Act 2003, premises licences can be applied for by a number of different types of applicant, provided they are over the age of 18.

Premises Licences provide for the regulation of the supply of alcohol for sale both on and off the premises together with entertainment and the provision of hot food between the hours of 11pm and 5am.

Club premises certificates can only be applied for by qualifying clubs, and as a result of the limited membership are considered to have slightly less regulation than premises licences, for example they do not require a designated premises supervisor.  However, there are a number of restrictions placed upon club premises certificates and for that reason many clubs have applied for premises licences to take advantage of the provision of services to non-members (hiring out function rooms etc).

We have advised many applicants in relation to premises licences and club premises certificates, predominantly in the North East but also nationally.  Our clients range from convenience stores to nightclubs to hotel chains.


For expert advice in licensing regulations, contact:

Matt Foster

Partner, Head of Licensing and Gaming

T: 0191 212

Matt is the go-to lawyer for licensing; he will provide thorough advice and representation throughout the matter.
Legal 500, 2016

Enquire Now

For more information please send us your enquiry and we promise to get back to you as soon as possible.

Back to top