Skip to main content
Wills, Probate & Trusts

Court of Protection Applications

If the worst happens and you or a loved one becomes unable to manage your property and financial affairs but do not have a power of attorney in place, an application will need to be made to the Court of Protection for a Deputy to be appointed to manage your financial affairs.  This is a much more involved and time-consuming process than entering into a lasting power of attorney.  It is also much more expensive, with annual fees and insurance premiums payable potentially for the rest of your loved one’s life.

Our experienced solicitors can help guide you through the court process and help you with the running of your loved-ones affairs once the court order has been granted.  We can even act as court-appointed Deputy for your loved one if you do not feel able to take this role.

We can also advise you on making statutory Will applications, should your loved one not have a Will in place and no longer have the requisite mental capacity to prepare a new one and other appropriate applications to the Court of Protection, such as for the sale of property or making lifetime gifts.

We can also assist you in making an application to the Court of Protection for a Deputy to be appointed to make health and welfare decisions, although in reality, these are rarely granted by the Court.

For sensitive advice from expert, experienced solicitors about Court of Protection applications and appointing a deputy call the team on 0191 281 6151 or email

Sorting out your affairs may seem daunting but our understanding team is here to help. Contact:

Lydia McCaslin

Partner, Head of Wills and Probate

Enquire Now

For more information please send us your enquiry and we promise to get back to you as soon as possible.

Related Articles

Back to top